Abstract: Cyclobutanes are important structural motifs which is present in plethora of biologically significant molecules and also useful intermediates for chemical synthesis. Consequently [2+2] cycloadditions to access cyclobutanes have been established to be particularly useful transformation.Within the last ten years we have observed an increase in the frequency of publication for catalytic enantioselective [2+2] cycloaddition approaches which provides an array of enantiomerically enriched chemical entities. I will discuss about the different approaches including photochemical [2+2], polarized [2+2] cycloaddition,amine catalysis, transition metal catalysis and visible photocatalytic approches towards the synthesis of enantiomerically enriched cyclobutane derivatives.
- R. Brimioulle, T. Bach, Science 2013, 342, 840 – 843
- E. Canales, E. J. Corey, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2007, 129, 12686 –12687
- M. R. Luzung, P. Mauleýn, F. D. Toste, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2007, 129, 12402 – 12403
- J. Du, K. L. Skubi, D. M. Schultz, T. P. Yoon, Science 2014, 344, 392 – 396
- Ł. Albrecht, G. Dickmeiss, F. C. Acosta, C. Rodr†guezEscrich, R. L. Davis, K. A. Jørgensen, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134 , 2543– 2546