Academic and Professional Career
- Currently Professor at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of California, Berkeley, 1986-87, with Prof. Paul A. Bartlett
- Ph.D., Columbia University, New York, 1986, with Prof. Ronald Breslow
- M.Sc., IIT Kanpur, 1981
Awards, Honors and Professional memberships
Silver Medal, Chemical Research Society of India, 2012; Materials Research Society of India Medal, 2009; Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy, 2009; J.C. Bose National Fellowship, 2008; A.V. Rama Rao Foundation Prize Lecture, JNCASR, 2007; CDRI Drug Research Award, 2006; Prof. T. Navaneeth Rao National Best Chemistry Teacher Award, 2005; S.S. Bhatnagar Prize in Chemical Sciences, 2001; Bronze medal, Chemical Research Society of India, 2000; Millennium medal (Indian Science Congress Association), 2000; Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences, 1998; Young Associate, Indian Academy of Sciences, 1989-1992
- Member, International Advisory Board, Chem. Soc. Rev.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Chemical Sciences
- Editorial Board Member, Asian J. Org. Chem.
- Secretary, Indian Academy of Sciences
- Member, American Chemical Society
- National Representative, IUPAC Committee on Chemical Education
- Chemistry of Bile acids
- Hydrogels and Organogels
- Hybrid and Nanomaterials
- “Cadmium deoxycholate: a new and efficient precursor for highly luminescent CdSe nanocrystals”, Arkajyoti Chakrabarty, Sayantan Chatterjee, Uday Maitra J. Mater. Chem. C, “Metal cholate hydrogels: versatile supramolecular systems for nanoparticle embedded soft hybrid materials”, Arkajyoti Chakrabarti, Uday Maitra, Anjali Devi Das J. Mater. Chem., 2012, 22, 18268. DOI:10.1039/C2JM34016J.
- “Metal cholate hydrogels: versatile supramolecular systems for nanoparticle embedded soft hybrid materials”, Arkajyoti Chakrabarti, Uday Maitra, Anjali Devi Das J. Mater. Chem., 2012, 22, 18268. DOI:10.1039/C2JM34016J.
- “A Novel, ‘Pro-Sensitizer’ based Sensing of Enzymes using Tb (III) Luminescence in a Hydrogel matrix”, Sandip Bhowmik, Uday Maitra, Chem. Commun., 2012, 44, 4624. DOI:10.1039/C2CC30904A.
- “Tuning the Efficiency of Dendritic Nanocarriers using Conformational Constraints”, T.B.N. Satyanarayana, Uday Maitra, Chemistry – an Asian Journal, 2012, 7, 321-329 (DOI: 10.1002/asia.201100597).
- “Perfluoroalkyl bile esters: a new class of efficient gelators of organic and aqueous–organic media”, Supratim Banerjee, V. M. Vidya, A. J. Savyasachi and Uday Maitra, J. Mater. Chem. 2011, 21, 14693. DOI: 10.1039/c1jm11912e.
- “Self-organization of multiple components in a steroidal hydrogel matrix: Design, construction and studies on novel tunable luminescent gels and xerogels”, Supratim Banerjee, Ramesh Kandanelli, Sandip Bhowmik and Uday Maitra, Soft Matter 2011, 7, 8207.
- “Spectroscopic, Microscopic and first Rheological investigations in Charge-transfer interaction induced Organogels”, Rajat K. Das, Supratim Banerjee, Guillaume Raffy, André Del Guerzo, Jean-Pierre Desvergne and Uday Maitra, J. Mater. Chem. 2010, 20, 7227-7235.
- “Supramolecular Chirality in Organogels: A Detailed Spectroscopic, Morphological, and Rheological Investigation of Gels (and Xerogels) Derived from Alkyl Pyrenyl Urethanes, Rajat K. Das, Ramesh Kandanelli, Juha Linnanto, Kunal Bose and U. Maitra, Langmuir, 2010, 26, 16141- 16149.
- “Supramolecular Gels ‘in Action’”, S. Banerjee, R.K. Das, Uday Maitra, J. Mater. Chem. 2009, 19, 6649-6687. Review
- “Unlocking the potentials of bile acids in synthesis, Supramolecular/materials chemistry and nanoscience”, Nonappa, Uday Maitra, Org. Biomol. Chem. 2008,6, 657- 669 (invited Perspective article).